Thursday, October 4, 2007

Gecko




We have a resident gecko living in our new house. It lives high up on the wall just below the ceiling. At first I thought it was great. I thought it was cute. I even jokingly said to my boyfriend that I wonder if the suckers on its feet would make squishy noises when it walked. We laughed.

One evening I was home alone (my boyfriend has this tendency to work alot) when I heard a noise behind me. I turned around to see what it was but there was nothing there. Then I heard it again. I turned around, but again saw nothing. Then I heard it a third time and realised it was in fact a squishy noise. I turned to see the gecko sitting on the wall about half a metre across from where i was sitting and at my eye level. I had this eery sensation that it was watching me, but immediately thought I was being silly and dismissed the thought. But over the next couple of weeks, whenever I was alone, the gecko would come out and sit across from me. Eventually I got freaked out and chased it out onto the veranda. The next day I told my boyfriend that I'd chased the gecko out because it was stalking me. He laughed. (It was a nervous sort of laugh). I knew he thought I was crazy, but that gecko was definitely watching me.

Then, earlier this evening, I was once again sitting alone in the lounge when I saw a gecko on the wall. I wasn't sure if it was the same one (I call him Stan) so I watched him closely. It was running across the wall when it suddenly stopped and started making very strange noises. "What the hell?" I thought. Then his tail started twitching. Then his hind legs as well. I thought he was having a seizure, actually. I even considered giving him some Valium, but I didn't have any at my immediate disposal. Then, just as suddenly, it stopped. Next thing, something dropped from what I assume is its anus, but I was too afraid to go closer to investigate just in case he was actually a she and her spawn was about to hatch.

I don't think geckos are cute anymore.


No comments: