Thursday, November 8, 2007

If at first...

I went shopping the other day and one of the items I bought was a pack of chicken breasts. I love chicken breasts. My dad taught me how to make stuffed chicken breasts a while ago and it is divine. But I digress. So anyway, I got to the till and the barcode on the chicken breasts wouldn't scan (by the way, this just so happened to be the last pack they had, so I couldn't just swap it) so the cashier paged her supervisor. I hate it when this happens - they push some button that causes that loud beeping noise to sound in order to attract the supervisor's attention but it also attracts everyone elses attention! The supervisor has this key which she puts into the till which allows her to override the system. So she showed up eventually, used her key and then manually punched in the barcode. But the machine rejected it. So she tried again. Still it wouldn't work. So she just tried again. And again. And again. I tried to say something but she was repeatedly punching in the code at such super fast speed that I couldn't really get a word in. By about the tenth time, I started to think that maybe it wasn't going to work. By about the fifteenth time I thought that she too might realise this, but no. She was determined. Then, amazingly, on about her twentieth attempt, the code was accepted! I couldn't believe it. Her kung fu was strong. She walked away with this nonchalant look on her face.

I guess persistence does pay off.

No comments: